Art at the West Exmoor Federation
At The West Exmoor Federation, we recognise that art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. A high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge children, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As children progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
The national curriculum for Art and Design aims to ensure that all children:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Across the West Exmoor Federation, we deliver the Art and Design curriculum through a series of carefully planned teaching sequences, drawing upon specific artists and a range of skills throughout each year. Each term the children focus on either Colour and Pattern/Painting and Drawing, Texture and Line/Printing and Collage or Shape, Form and Space/Sculpture and Photography. Each ‘final’ piece of artwork created uses a range of taught skills and varied materials allowing the children to gain a greater wealth of experience.
Through our teaching of Art and Design, our children will:
- have an appreciation of art, great artists and the different styles that artists use.
- develop confidence in using a variety tools, materials and artistic mediums.
- understand how art can express emotion and imagination.
- understand that designs make the final piece better.
- appreciate how art can help them to express themselves and control their emotions.
- celebrate themselves as an artist.