Design Technology at the West Exmoor Federaiton
At The West Exmoor Federation, we believe that Design and Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, children design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Our children learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the nation.
The national curriculum for Design and Technology aims to ensure that all children:
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
Across the West Exmoor Federation, we deliver the Design and Technology curriculum through Projects on a Page. This ensures that the federation is using a reliable and effective, progressive scheme of work. As the scheme is used across the whole federation our children are taught using the same structure for each unit of learning. All units are taught practically and focus upon designing, making and evaluating alongside developing technical skills. Where appropriate, Design and Technology units are linked to other aspects of learning.
Through our teaching of Design and Technology, our children will:
- Evaluate, test, and critique their products as well as those of others.
- Apply knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and create products for a wide range of users or to solve a problem.
- Explore and use a range of materials to create a working product.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn basic cookery skills.